The North Middlesex Regional School District's School Committee consists of nine members. The school committee consists of 3 representatives from Pepperell, 2 from Townsend and 1 from Ashby plus 3 at large representatives. Committee members serve a term of 3 years.
The School Committee is in charge of setting educational goals and policies, as well as reviewing and approving the annual budget. In addition, the School Committee is responsible for hiring and evaluating the Superintendent, who is the educational leader and chief executive officer in charge of overseeing the administration of the school district in a manner consistent with the district goals and policies.
School Committee Powers and Duties
The North Middlesex Regional School Committee has all the powers conferred upon it by state law and must perform those duties mandated by the state. These include the responsibility and right to determine policies and practices and to employ a staff to implement its directions for the proper education of the children of the community.
The Committee takes a broad view of its functions. It sees them as:
- Legislative or policymaking: The Committee is responsible for the development of policy as guides for administrative action and for employing a Superintendent who will implement its policies.
- Appraisal: The Committee is responsible for evaluating the effectiveness of its policies and their implementation.
- Provision of financial resources: The Committee is responsible for adoption of a budget that will enable the school system to carry out the Committee's policies.
- Public relations: The Committee is responsible for providing adequate and direct means for keeping the local citizenry informed about the schools and for keeping itself and the school staff informed about the needs and wishes of the public.
- Educational planning and evaluation: The Committee is responsible for establishing educational goals and policies that will guide the Committee and staff for the administration and continuing improvement of the educational programs provided by the School District.